Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Persevere

(definition) to continue steadfastly; to maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement


Perseverance is hard. If you are feeling tired, discouraged, or discontent, I understand and am in the process of learning how to persevere in faith.

I want to share some thoughts about what God has been teaching me about perseverance.

When you feel like giving up, remember why you started.
How quickly I forget the faithfulness of God that has brought me to where I am. When I reflect upon those moments of affirmation, I am reminded of His guidance and attention to details in my life. I have faith that God will fulfill His promises when the time comes, and that His ways are higher than my ways. I can trust the God who has never failed me, no matter how many times I wander and disobey.

James 1:12
"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love Him."

If you are tired, find rest in God's presence and not in things of this world. 
Instead of wasting energy focusing on the negative, quiet your heart in His presence. Praise Him for all that He has done, year after year and day by day. Pray for the strength to carry on even when you feel weak.

Psalm 62:1-2
"Truly my soul finds rest in God;
my salvation comes from Him.
Truly He is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will never be shaken."

Pray for an increased awareness of His Will in everyday life.
If we are more attune to what God is doing in our contexts and communities, we can find motivation and strength in the purposes of God. Sometimes, we just need reasons to persevere, and that wisdom comes from intentional relationship with God and time spent in His Word.

Psalm 143:10
"Teach me to do Your Will, for You are my God; 
may Your good Spirit lead me on level ground."

Surround yourself with people who remind you of God's faithfulness and our role in His Kingdom.
I am have personally experienced the incredible power of accountability, community, and relationships. We were never meant to strive after God's Will alone. He has gifted us with people through whom we can experience love, support, encouragement, and joy. Spend time with your tribe. Love them deeply and unconditionally.

Hebrews 10:23-25
"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

I pray that you seek God through the trials and that He gives you the strength to persevere, no matter what you are going through right now. You are not alone.

In His Name,

No comments:

Post a Comment